Monday, February 7, 2011

Winter in Kabul



As you can see, winter has come to Kabul. Over the last couple of days we have had quite a rainfall which was really the first time that it has rained since I arrived almost 8 months ago. The rain was actually quite nice....it cleaned up all of the air pollution, was wonderful to listen to as I feel asleep at night and it covered the surrounding mountains with a layer of snow.
I just had to get up on one of the roofs and take these pcitures of the surrounding mountains as the sky was so clear and blue (normally you cannot see them due to the air pollution) and they were so striking. I had to crop the pictures so that I did not show the surrounding area to the Embassy but I think you will still get the sense of how Kabul is surrounded on all sides by soaring mountains.
In the one photo you can see the old Kabul Wall on the ridgeline. This was the wall built to defend Kabul from the invaders, much along the lines of the Great Wall in China, which both of course proved to be equally disasterous.
There is no snow on the ground down where we are and it was all just slushy rain. Turned the place into one big mud slick. I felt so bad for some of the young kids I saw as we moved around to various meetings in the city. For the most part they do not have proper winter clothes and wear sandals year round. These poor kids would be standing on the side of a incredibly busy road, soaking wet covered in mud, dressed in rags shivering and trying to sell everything from chewing gum to phone cards. Really something to see....

4 comments:

  1. Amazing, sure puts things in the right prospective. See a young fellow down the street go to school in the morning in a pair of bright surfing shorts, it is cold and snowy outside. However he has the luxury of making that choice to be cool. We got an incredible amount of snow between yesterday and today..........and it actually looks quite beautiful out there. Great pictures Son, reminds me of Black Mountain and area.........We have had lots of Avalanche warnings here with the amount of snow, then warm temperatures........People still do not listen.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photo's Dave

    Its good to suck in some fresh air after some refreshing rains.

    We are enjoying the boys starting high school. They went to school for 2 days, came home cranky and tired, and now they are off to camp for 3 days. We just do not know ourselves with the house to ourselves and no Heckle and Jeckyl.

    I am sure that we will pay the price tommorrow when they return.

    There is food in the cupboard, no Ipods and no music. Matthew has taken up KISS music big time, and we keep hearing the same 5 songs on repeat.

    The boys have taken to hanging shit on DAD big time. They reckon I have a neck like a turkey!! Just love it when they sneak up behind me and grab me under the chin!!
    They also remind me that my hairs a getting grey and maybe I have a pillow under my shirt.

    I have had the "pleasure" of dropping them to the bus stop in the mornings, but I must do it around the corner so no one sees me, as I am not cool.

    I think I need to plot some serious revenge on Heckell especially and Jeckle to a lesser extent. I might sing out something like "I hope you changed your undies this morning" as they walk onto the bus.

    Hope you keep well and look forward to your next blog

    Just Darren

    ReplyDelete
  3. The boys are old enough for High School, my goodness what happened here, where did the time go.,.enjoy those crazy years, they go by so fast, they will find out later on just how intelligent you will get to them.........Enjoy your comments Darren........thanks for being on the blog or blob as Dave's Dad calls it...............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings Dave

    Hope this blog finds you well. Matts did well on his return from camp, he only left behind 3 articles of clothes and a beach towel!! Nick managed to return all clothes that he took away.
    One of the kids broke a camp rule and took his IPOD on camp. That kid now has Saturday detention for the rest of the term from 9am till noon and then he gets his IPOD back at end of Term 1. I think I like the place, a bit of discipline does not go astray.
    They are very tired and cranky on their return, so this week will be a good week to get to the end of.

    The boys camp involved body surfing, sea kyaking and snorkeling among other beach sports. The last time the boys snorkeled was on the Great Barrier Reef looking at beautful coral, fish and NEMO's. At camp they were looking at sand and sea weeds!! Just beautiful.

    Nick wanted to do athletics at school, part of the program was to get dropped off at 7am for training. 7AM!!! He has seen the light and enrolled in golf instead. Maybe he will be the next Tiger Owens. Maybe we should pick a different golfer now. Nicholas "Golden Bear" Nicholas.
    It is interesting to watch finds unfold in Egypt at the moment. how the hell do you lead a country when you are 82 years old. You would think that he has had enough by now.

    I think that we have just celebrated our first anniversary of being self employed. WOW. 1 whole year of running my own "business".

    We had Shell's birthday the other day, just turned 24!! As it was the day of the boys return, we had a BBQ where I cooked and then clean up. They where showered and bed before 9am.

    Keep Smiling and we will blob soon

    Daz & Shell

    ReplyDelete