Friday, August 6, 2010

Dand District





Here are some additional pictures from my recent trip down south. We were "out and about" stopping at various locations to see our members, do some assessments, drop off supplies, etc. One of the places was the Dand District Centre. As with most locations in Afghanistan, it is fully enclosed by a compound with various layers of barricades and defences. The protection unfortunately makes it very tough for the local population to connect with their government and vice versa.
On this particular day you can tell by the group photo, that it was quite warm. You will also notice that I hardly broke a sweat, while all the other guys are drenched...must be the result of my "18 year old body"!
This was a very long one and the sun was just starting to set as we arrived at Dand. After we finished up at Dand, we had to travel back through Kandahar City to Camp Nathan Smith. The traffic was horrendous and we got stuck in several traffic jams. It was like a Friday night downtown Ottawa in the market, cars everywhere and no one moving. Everyone gets a little "edgy" when we get stopped, but there was nowhere to go and we had to crawl along making our way slowly back to the base.
One of the funny episodes of the day was when a little puppy kept following one of our guys around. Pierre is from the Montreal Police Service and for some reason the little dog just kept nipping at his heels...I thought it was a cute picture. I started teasing Pierre because he is going soft on me...first he is wearing a locally made bracelet, then he starts hanging around with puppies...




9 comments:

  1. Mom and Dad, Kathy, Sue and kids, John and Nicole have made it here....all safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY.......Sounds like the PARTY has started at Steve and Patti Ranch.....

    Party on and have some fun.

    Sorry Sarah and I could not be there but we will be thinking of you all.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we wish we were there this weekend. I hate how were all so far apart...Have a great weekend everyone! Lots of Love
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, the first night at Steve and Patti's was lots of fun. It was a very late night or should I say an early morning. I tried and tried to go to bed but Steve keep forcing me to stay up and have one more. So needless to say, I have a headache this morning. Wish you were here to join in the fun.

    This is Kathy typing under Steve's post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, my fault...?.....who kept having just one more Kathy and who was trying to chase everyone away....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Critch, finally did some catching-up on your blog. Nice picks of the park. Quite a contrast with the rest of the landscape!
    Nice shots also during the hockey game. So I get that you took on the challenge, but didn't see anything on who won the game???
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dave,
    Deb sent a link to your blog along to mom and I just invited myself to join. We've been thinking of you lots and it is great to read about your experience and see the great pics you have posted. What an amazing job you have. Reading about your life there makes me feel very lucky to live the way I do. So thanks to you and the entire CF for sweating your asses off everyday!

    Miss you and hope to see you and the family sometime next year! We will have to introduce you to our little one, due on December 2nd.
    Ps. It's a boy!

    xox - Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miss Stacey...Reading your email and seeing the words "it's a boy" made a tear fall from my eye.I am so happy for you and Steve.I cant believe Dave and I have known you since you were 3 years old.

    I cant wait to see you all...and your new addition....

    Love Debra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stacey! So great to hear from you and with great news too...congratulations. I emailed your Dad a couple of times, but I thought they may not have internet at the old folks home...or perhaps he forgot to hit the send button...Please pass on my best to your parents and of course "Sid the Kid".

    ReplyDelete