Friday, August 13, 2010

Medals Presentation






Good evening all. I have just returned from KAF where I bid farewell to a group of our CivPol officers who were returning home. The group included 21 police officers from departments such as the RCMP, Toronto Police Service, Durham Regional, Montreal Police Service, the OPP and the Regina Police Service. All of them had spent a minimum of 9 months in Afghanistan doing various assignments throughout the country and needless to say, they were quite excited about heading home.
I flew down to KAF to in order to present medals along with General Vance, the Commander of Task Force Kandahar. Depending on the job and position each officer was placed in, they either received the General Service Medal (GSM) from the CF, or the EUPOL medal. General Vance handed out the GSM medal, as it is presented to folks who have supported the CF in Afghanistan, and I handed out the EUPOL medal as there was no EUPOL representative in KAF.
Although the ceremony was low key and simple in nature, I cannot emphasize how much the medals mean to each CivPol member. The medals are a formal recognition of all the hard work and personal sacrifices they have endured during their time in Afghanistan. Some of these folks lived in some pretty "rustic" conditions, with searing heat, dust which absolutely coats everything, and of course the constant threat of enemy action.
For the group's last night in KAF, we had arranged for a "beer call". This is where each person is allowed to have 2 beers, or a half bottle of wine. It is very strictly controlled as KAF is alcohol free and there is a procedure where each person has to sign for their beer. It was a very nice evening sitting in the dorm with the group and listening to them as they told stories about each other and relived various adventures from their tour. Of course the stories got better as the beers were drank and at times I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.
The two ladies in the one photo are MJ and Annie. They are a couple of outstanding women who did great work with the ANP on training and gender issues. As you can tell from the picture, they are so positive and upbeat...we will really miss them.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Son.........we just got home also, had a great week at Steve's, no situations as you call it.......It was great, and Steve and Patti are to be complimented for the great hosts they were........I am sure you will also get some pictures...Sue had a bit of an icident with hail on her trailor on the way home.........Your pictures are great, they are all I am sure looking forward to going home, well deserved medals to say the least.........love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave

    We have been catching up on some reading. The heat and the dust really come through on your pictures. As I type this, the news is of another Aussie soldier who has died in action. Terrible for all concerned.
    then I read some of the older blogs about a party. What a great idea. what we really need is a wedding. One of those Ashby boys would be great, so I could taste a beer that Gary paid for. Of course if 1 of the Critchley's got the urge, that would make it Dave's shout!!!

    I do need to have a chat with Critch Critchley. I am not sure if that is Dave's dad real name, or if he was just pulling my leg. I remember Critch telling me about the small brown bears that used to room the area when Dave was a boy. Used to come right up to the houses and go through the rubbish looking for an easy feed. Maybe he was just pulling my leg, but it was a good story at the time, or maybe it was the pool and the company we were keeping.

    I look forward to seeing a picture of Dave accepting his medal instead of giving them out.

    Take care

    Daz and Shell

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would have been Gimli, Manitoba, where the bears were..........look forward also for an opportunity of seeing you and your family again........David being there of course will be a big plus......As for Critch's first name, I will let him tell you..............

    ReplyDelete